Former office of The New Yorker
This is where the New Yorker offices were located from 1935-1991, before Conde Nast bought the magazine and moved the staffers out.
At 28 West 44th Street is the spot where The New Yorker was published from the Depression right up until the George Bush years. It is a fairly plain looking building that for decades leased several floors to the magazine. In this building everyone associated with the magazine had to come by.
When publisher Harold Ross launched the magazine in 1925 from his Hell's Kitchen house, he relied on his friends from the Algonquin Round Table for support. He edited the magazine up until his death in 1951. By then, Dorothy Parker's association with the magazine was long over.
BIT 'O HISTORY|
This plaque lists some of the contributors to the New Yorker, but Parker isn't on the list
The famous story of Parker and Ross is often repeated about her terrible work habits. He spotted her in a speakeasy in the middle of the day, not at the office. "Someone else was using the pencil," she told him.
The first issue of The New Yorker appeared on Feb. 21, 1925. Parker wrote drama reviews for the first two issues. It was not a big hit with the Round Table (it almost went under a few times), but many continued to serve on an "advisory board" in the masthead. On the list was Parker, who would write many short stories for the magazine.
Her first published New Yorker piece was "A Certain Lady" — Parker defined what was a "New Yorker Story" — under 7,000 words in length, urbane, clever, and absolutely well-written. Over the next 74 years, writers following in Parker's footsteps have been as diverse as J.D. Salinger and E. Annie Proulx.
Today, the magazine's offices are located in a glittering glass mirror skyscraper in the center of Times Square. Conde Nast is the owner of the magazine, the same company that puts out Vanity Fair and Vogue, where Dottie launched her career.
For a drink:
The Blue Bar at the Algonquin
Subway: 1,2,3,9, N, R to 42nd St.