In 1918, when Dorothy was 24 and on the staff of Vanity Fair, she took a furnished apartment somewhere on West Seventy-first Street on the Upper West Side, the same neighborhood she grew up in. Maybe she wanted the security of the place she had a lot of good memories of when she was younger. Dorothy and Eddie Parker were married in 1917 before he left for the service, so she was living alone for some time.
The apartment was a brownstone on West Seventy-first Street, directly behind the house she lived in as a child at 214 W. 72nd Street. She was living here on West Seventy-first Street when the Algonquin Round Table met for the first time, in June 1919. When Eddie came back from the war as a drug addict, they lived here until 1920, when they moved to West Fifty-seventh Street. The exact house address isn’t known.
This is the kind of apartment that a woman living alone, her husband away in the Army, would occupy in stories such as “The Lovely Leave” (1943) or the urbane woman in “From the Diary of a New York Lady” (1933).
The apartment is just a half block from Broadway. At the time of Mrs. Parker’s residence here, she dined out every night, and today, there are still scores of restaurants and bars nearby.